The Second Community Support Framework (CSF II) was the sum of operational programmes for the execution of development projects in Greece, which was financed by the European Union and the Greek State. The funding covered the five year period from 1994 to 1999.
One of the programmes of the (CSF II) was the Operational Programme for Education and Initial Vocational Training (O.P. "Education") which was implemented by the Ministry for National Education and Religious Matters (YP.E.P.TH.). The first phase of the programme "Upgrading the University of the Aegean Library" was implemented under the O.P. "Education" I and the CSF III during the period 1996-1999.
- Sub-programme: 3
- Measures/Actions 3.1 / 3.1.b. , 3.3.g.2
- Project: Upgrading the University of the Aegean Library / Library Equipment
- Implementing Entity University of the Aegean
- Project Manager: Kon/nos Man. Sofoulis
- Address: University of the Aegean Central Library Office, 3 Imbros str, 81100 Mytilene
ESF (European Social Fund): 720,000,000 drachmas
ERDF (European Regional Development Fund): 100,000,000 drachmas
- Hardware and Software upgrading
- Installing latest version of Geac Advance and creating a unified digital catalog (Union Catalogue) in a common bibliographic database.
- Upgrading the online services provided;
- Enhancing the collection with approximately 20,000 books;
- Enhancing the collection with back issue journals (print or digital issue) and renewing the subscription of the existing scientific journals;
- Providing online bibliographic information services and
- Configuring Library premises.
The main objective is to secure the requirements for upgrading of the University of the Aegean Library so to effectively support educational and research activities of the University of the Aegean Departments, which are scattered over four border islands (Lesvos, Chios, Rhodes and Samos).